Where to begin? Like most of the world, we look back at 2020 with mixed feelings. It was a huge year full of milestones for both Flamehawk Studios, and The Mechanical World of Dr. Gearbox. It was also a hard, exhausting year for the families behind the game. COVID-19 changed the world and obviously no one was exempt. There were many times of frustration for obvious reasons, but the team was able to power through and persevere.
First and foremost, the game prototype was finally completed after 2.5 years of nonstop work. Here’s a list of features that are in the newest build:
- Character Creation:
- 18 different prosthetic limbs
- cochlear implants
- 13 skin colors
- 5 vitiligo skin patterns
- 10 eye colors with the ability to choose different colors per eye (heterochromia)
- 38 facial sliders that control how the eyes, brows, nose, ears, mouth, cheeks, and jawline
- 11 customizable hair styles and the ability to not have hair (alopecia)
- body thickness slider
- starter clothing (hats, shirts, legwear, footwear)
- Homebase player hub
- Squad Select workflow: 7 selectable squad members with 28 distinct combat abilities, ability to save up to 5 squads
- Level Select workflow: Select destination and battle trivia pack to use during battle
- Turn Based Combat engine
- 4 Battle Trivia Types (Multiple Choice, True/false, Ordering, Picture Labeling)
- Inventory system that allows the player to wear or store clothing options
- Loot system including 34 loot items such as backpacks, hats, all sorts of clothing, and of course a chicken hat
- Functional mini map that shows patrol locations
- Web based application to create new Battle Trivia packs, create and edit questions, and the ability to permission them to game players in real-time while they are playing
Away from the game development itself, we successfully raised over $50,000 on Kickstarter! We have to give another massive thank you to everyone who generously pledged no matter the amount. Without your assistance the prototype would not have been completed on time! On that note, t-shirts, the soundtrack, and desktop wallpapers have all been sent to anyone who was entitled and supplied their credentials. If you are entitled to any of these things and have NOT received them, please email email@example.com... and be on the lookout for the Behind the Scenes Art & Lore Digital PDF that will be emailed out in January to anyone who is eligible to receive it!
We also made some awesome friends in 2020! From charities and non-profit organizations, to esports organizations, fundraisers, advisors, teachers, gaming industry professionals, and more, we sure were busy on the partnership side of things. We’re looking forward to making some big announcements in 2021 in connection to partnerships and other important news!
Finally, a very special thanks to our social media followers and of course the wonderful Flamehawk team itself for completing the prototype just in time for 2021!
Thanks to everyone who has joined us on this wild ride and we cant wait to take our next steps together with you!